Assignment 1 - The design

It has to be a written document, the brief offers the idea of filming yourself reading it to camera but that is so not me.

I'm thinking of the process as a journey, so I spent some time making some representations the road and the plants symbolising growth along the way . The coloured wave motif is something I've explored before but not found the right use for.






I used a foam roller for the waves then washed/repainted/manipulated the paint (watercolour or acrylic). The plants were a bit of a diversion, I made them by imprinting a stem that I found in the garden. I really like the effect but I don't think that it fits in these documents.

This version in acrylic paint, was bolder than I'd intended but I like the rough edge at the top, like the spray at the top of a wave.

The quality of the mark reminds me of Eric Carle. I think it reflects the journey ahead.

I experimented with writing on the paler waves,

 but the text is very difficult to follow.

Using InDesign I laid out my Manifesto and Project plan as a single document with 2 parts. I downloaded the Monserrat typeface which looks fresh clean and modern. I think that it's nice and easy to read. To make it a bit more personal I scanned my handwritten name to start my declaration but I wasn't happy with the effect so I used the "handwritten" font Dakota. The wave is the only illustration featuring it on the title page (below) between the 2 documents and at the end. I couldn't resist adding a flying bird. 

Its a big document so Blogger wouldn't upload it. You can read it on my Wordpress site here 

Reflection

I've got a bit stuck on this exercise. It's taken me too long to get going and to develop the content. I know that it is designed to get me excited about the rest of the course and what I can develop but it feels like an obstacle to get over before I can get started with proper illustrations and learning. Although I've tried hard to engage with it, on some level I can't fully engage with what I have written, particularly for the manifesto, it's too idealistic and feels unrealistic.  I'm not a planner by nature and this is probably some of the problem. Although I am confident that I can create content and meet deadlines I work more organically, fitting in around work and other commitments so I find detailed planning constrains me. I think that the document looks professional but not very innovative, although I'm pleased with the illustration. I'm publishing this now so that I can move on and maybe come back to review it later.  



Comments