What are your questions?

I worked through the questions in the text and highlighted things that interest me and relate to my work: 

What is the theme or subject of your work? 

Issue, current affairs, politics, literature, place, youth culture, object, history, informationpeopleevent, materials, identity... 

What format(s) are you interested in working with? 

Poster, screen print, photograph, bookpamphletmanualfolding document, surface pattern, textiles, mural, point of sale, exhibition, film, sound, animation, game, app, graphic novel, zine, comic, storyboard, happening, packaging, 3D, interactivity,web, multidisciplinary... 

What approach are you intending to explore? 

Narrative, reportage, topographic, informative, site-specific, moving image, sequential, time- based, typographic, interview, dialogue, editorial... 

What is the function of your project? 

To educateinform, entertain, promote, sell, investigate, provoke, enhance, record...


The bold black words relate to my scientific/educational work:

information  manual  informative  educate

To explore narration I highlighted the words:

placepeopleeventidentity.

bookpamphletmanualfolding documentexhibitiongraphic novel, zine, comic3D, interactivity

Narrative, reportageinformativesequential

educate, inform, entertaininvestigaterecord.

but then I'm also attracted to:

Issue, current affairs, politics, literature, place, object, history

materials 

textiles, mural, animation, game, storyboard, happening, web, multidisciplinary... 

topographic, site-specific, moving image, time- based, dialogue

promote, provoke, enhance 

I think that it will depend on the stories I tell.

A list of words on a page isn't very useful, I need to explore them further, so I made a mind map to explore how they were linked:


This lead me to the computer so that I could manipulate the words easier:


It's a bit bald and clinical so I drew it out for myself:


Actually it looks a lot better inverted.

 

I didn't include the format (book, pamphlet etc.) because for me that will be driven by the subject matter. 

The graphic is a simplification, I would replace People with Living things, I've been aware for a long time that this is the root of my work. My interests are often related to issues of equality, environment and health, but I see that as an underlying layer which is covered by the words that I have selected.

My question for Sustaining your Practice is:

"How can I use narrative illustration to communicate visually?"

Comments