Starting to create pages: Part 1 - Walking past the house

Taking the images that I've made so far I started to develop the first pages of the story by overlaying the figure onto drawings of the house. First with the simple ink drawings:





I quite like the effect of having multiple versions all at the site together.

This, more sketchy drawing is part of a tentative layout of the introduction to the wool in the window.
I’m not sure if I’m getting too carried away drawing night walks. It explains why I’m looking into windows but does anyone need to know? 
I’ve finally got an iPad and pencil so the drawings above and below were done in Procreate. I’ve got a lot to learn about digital drawing so I’m trying to resist the temptation to combine this learning with my project. I don’t think that my digital drawings will be mature enough to have the depth of expression that I’m looking for but the Pencil is very good for editing my analog images. 
The drawing below was done entirely in Procreate.

But the drawing below is a combination of my first experimental ink doodles.



I find it difficult to get the relative size correct for the walker, the dog and the house. I know that people use size to create effect but I think for it to work there needs to be an element of intention or consistency, generally I find inconsistency distracting. I don’t know if I will use layering to assemble the figures in the environment or as an advanced storyboard to work from. There is a danger that the images will become overworked if I redraw them too many times so I may stick with layering and editing, this does give me the chance to intentionally play with scale if it will help the storyline.

From here I can either mock up the story with more resolved drawings or continue to experiment with the technical side of the illustrations. It may be only a small, short story but I feel very small and insignificant next to the number of its pages and the number of ways that I can tell it. I think that I will feel more comfortable and better able to move forward from here if I have some sort of base story laid out even if I’m using more than one style to tell it at the moment.

Laying these pages out I realise that I want a drawing of the house from a different angle so that the viewer feels that they are walking past. Do I want them to walk past other houses on their way to the one with the wool?


Some sketches from the other view. I struggle to contain myself within conventional architectural parameters and stick to conventional perspective.





Comments