Review: Making and testing methodologies


  • What methods are you using? 
    • Drawing, photographs, collage/textiles, Procreate, Photoshop, video, stop motion animation. (so far)
  • Have they restricted or advanced the development of your project?
    • Mostly advanced, though all materials and methods have their restrictions this can enhance outcomes. I am restricted by my limited skills in digital technologies, animation and video. Where I have combined drawing collage and Procreate it hasn’t always been satisfactory but at the moment I am on the divergent trajectory of the Design Council double diamond so I’m not too worried about refining the illustrations, I want to do more experimentation.
  • Are they telling you what you need to know? What have you found out?
    • I think so. I have reached a point where I want input from my tutor because I’m not sure that I’m taking this in the right direction. I am learning about image selection and placement of images and I’m working on pacing and editing my story.
  • Have you also tested your proposal with your audience?
    • Not yet. I have had some discussions about my subject matter but what I have made so far is only starting to come together and I want it to be a bit more coherent before I show it to an audience so that I don’t waste their feedback on things that I know that I need to change
  • Could your project be enhanced by making a more ambitious proposition outcome, which you’re unable to make due to material technical or financial restraints?
    • It’s a small project due to the nature of the story. It could be made into a short animation but I don’t think that I will have enough time to make a full degree level animation with the my current knowledge and equipment. It could become part of a bigger book of short stories but I would prefer to keep it as a stand alone project because it’s a gentle story and I don’t want it to become buried by bigger stories.
  • Are you nearing the end of your making and testing stage or do you need another cycle?
    • I would like to do more making and testing (if this is a suitable vehicle for the work I need to make for this module). I would like to support my story with a variety of shorter narrative projects which use 1or 2 images. 
  • Do you need to alter your proposal?
    • My original question is: How can I use narrative illustration to communicate visually? Which is quite broad and could make it look like I haven’t fully explored the subject. I may need to be more specific. something like: How can illustration be used to tell everyday stories? (Which raise awareness of the world around us?)” I’m not sure yet, I’ll see how things progress from here.

Comments