More storyboarding

 One of my tutors criticisms was the lack of storyboarding, I’ve done some but it not been comprehensive. I spent an afternoon with a large piece of paper on a drawing board.


I started with the basic storyline:


Then did a numbered layout with the wool running through every pane.

A couple more experiments.


Then an exploitation of the light values
Experiments with the hedge being castellated then getting out of hand. Then expanding on starting on a dark frame and using it to introduce the wool in a lighted window



What about the anatomy of the story (as per Kurt Vonnegut)?

I think it’s this:
1) Start at ordinary, boring.
2) See wool: become curious
3) Plants grow up, wool disappears
4) Plants cut down the wool is gone but 
5) Something good  or bad might have happened to the knitter

So how do stories with multiple endings fit into Vonnegut’s theory? Dungeons and Dragons (showing my age here..) or video games. Are they valid stories? How can they not be? Real life is full of stories but they don’t have neat endings. I guess that we were all born and we all die in the end so we know the start and finish but the middle bit is infinitely complex. Do stories have to end on a high? Some have sad endings, even fairytales in their original form are pretty gruesome.


Comments