Reflective task - Exit strategy

I would like to publish this story as a small book, zine or comic. I am hoping that viewers will add to the story when I present it. When I am finished I will investigate routes of publication and distribution. 

Alongside my coursework I have been making illustrations for a book about veterinary anaesthesia. For this I have been liasing with authors and the editor to create the pictures and I have modified them in response to feedback. I have really enjoyed this project and my work has been well accepted. I intend to contact the book publishers to enquire if there are further projects that I could be involved in. Other lecturers talk of submitting a sketch which is turned into a drawing by their publisher (not the same company as I am working with) so I will investigate this.

When I have finished this course I will have time to talk to the education department in the university where I work, about the possibility of making illustrations for them.  I would love to do the Medical Artists Education Trust (MAET) postgraduate course but I don’t think that I will be able to afford it and I am worried that I may be considered too old. I plan to ask my university if they would be prepared to sponsor me but I think it is unlikely that they would have the budget for that.

The interactive teaching materials that I made for my research project can be developed to cover other veterinary drugs so I will approach manufacturers, publishers or our teaching staff to see if they can fund me to develop them further for wider publication.

I intend to be a lot more active on social media so that my work can be seen by a wider audience and to raise my profile. There have been many opportunities that I haven’t been able to take up because I wouldn’t have enough time to do everything. I am a member of the Association of Illustrators who offer a mentoring scheme and portfolio discussions along with opportunities to network and attend workshops and meetings.

I am also a member of the Hertfordshire Visual Arts Forum but haven’t been able to take advantage of the networking and promotional opportunities that come with membership because of my other projects.

There are also projects that I made for my course which could be developed further or revisited, things like the illustrations I made for DENS for Advanced Practice.

Following my mini exhibition I would like to explore telling stories in the community, stories that can be found by passers by.





Comments