The online element 1 - The houses

After the exhibition I focussed on modifying the elements of the story to post on social media as I had originally planned. 

I had decided on a less distinctive house for this stage, both to protect the privacy of the knitter, and because the story has evolved for me, to be also about the extraordinary within the ordinary. Maybe extraordinary is the wrong word to use here but I want to get people to look with curiosity at their immediate surroundings and to challenge the prejudices that people who live in suburbia are boring.

Using the terraced houses from my earlier post I struggled to get the greenery right.

In this version it really looks bolted on. Returning to the theme of the wool I printed the drawing onto light card and sewed the hedge.

This is much more in keeping with the rest of the project, and I’m much happier with it. 

I considered redrawing the figure with the dog but it was becoming stiff and losing fluidity so I used Procreate to paste some versions over this base.

When I laid them out I realised that the wool I’d added didn’t meet when it crossed the frames so I moved it for publication. The first three images have the background cleaned up but I used the original version to make the rainy scene.

I tried various methods to make the rain, still not sure that it’s absolutely right.

Is it really necessary to have this element to the story? I used it to set the scene and to explain why I walk through the streets looking in windows, but it’s not an essential part of the tale. My followers on social media are predominately veterinary friends and people who like my animal drawings so for the Instagram release it will attract their attention, but for a wider audience of people who aren’t bothered about dogs it might not be as useful.


Comments