Feedback Assignment 5

I chose line drawings and thread for my last iteration because I was short on time. I have gone nearly full circle here in terms of my practice. I used to work entirely in pencil and found it hard to add colour. When I got to grips with it I felt that I hadn’t finished a piece if it didn’t have some colour. I found it hard to switch away from pencil, but I hated the hesitancy of it and the way it rubbed around the paper, making everything grey so I made myself draw in ink and biro. Now I prefer a stronger line with minimal colour added to draw the eye. With the last little booklet I didn’t have enough time to consider how I would place colour highlights correctly so I left them out. 
Now, using layers, montages, collage and digital editing I am able to experiment with different combinations and highlights to get the effect that I’m looking for. I rarely make a finished piece as a single drawing, preferring to add other elements.

I feel that I have used up my quota of interest for my Yarn(s) project on Instagram and that I risk loosing followers if I continue to post unless I can offer them something radically different. I have singed up to have a small display at another local art show and hope to be able to offer some zines alongside my other work. At the very least I can take my artists book and talk about it there. This is an indoor event in a church so there isn’t scope to update the exhibition. 

My tutor asked about my thoughts about the work of Sandy McInnes who is one of the featured artists at the beginning of the course.

This, his home page does nothing to draw me in to read the content. The text looks like it has been added as an afterthought and blends into the background in places.

This page is even worse with most of the text invisible, and the individual project pages have a fixed block of red text with the project scrolling behind.

Clearly a lot of thought has gone into producing the site which makes me sad that I can’t engage with it. I looked to him because he writes about linking different elements of his practice in a coherent way which I really can’t see. If it hadn’t been for this course I would have looked no further, but when I did I found that I love the work that he has done for a Folio edition of Warhorse and his model making is expressive and brilliant, but maybe tellingly I can’t relate to his typography so maybe it’s just a matter of different taste.
 
I need to do more work on my own website….

Comments