More thoughts on the Design Council’s double diamond in response to feedback

I decided to do some more background reading about the Design Councils double diamond model and was reassured to discover that others had reservations about it. I found a bewildering number of design models Even the Design Council have reservations and have developed this modification:


Digital product designer  Maciej Lipiec created this one:

In response to criticisms, including that the double diamond doesn’t take into account that a prototype often needs to be made to reveal problems, and that research is an continual ongoing process not just at the beginning of a project. The full article is here

Olha Bahaieva in this article shows another modified version which I like


This takes into account the whole messy process of what happens when you’ve ‘finished’ (very much like what I am doing now)

She also shows this model:

Which I’ve found in lots of places, but I can’t attribute an original source. This for me, much better represents the development of an idea and the fact that nothing is ever truly finished just launched/abandoned into the outside world.

I followed my tutor’s suggestion and applied my experiences of this project first to one of the variations on the original Design Council model.
Then to my preferred model:


I think that the second version is a richer, more realistic representation of the process.




Comments