A downloadable zine

A folded booklet sounded like a good idea but watching people wrestle with the little Zines I made for my exhibition I’m worried that they would fail to assemble one if they downloaded it. Instead I made an A4 single sided version.

This was my final storyboard

Which I drew in Procreate 
I found that releasing the zine as a PDF meant that it printed correctly with a border (my printer chops the edges of jpegs)

I added dots and numbers to direct someone else sewing

I worry that it’s difficult to follow so I modified it to have boxes and gutters.

Using commercial fonts meant that I could fit the writing in easier. I used the dreaded Comic Sans for the main story (it is aimed at children and it is proven to be easier to read) and Chalkduster for the instructions. Experience tells me that handwritten style fonts look better with my drawings but I haven’t got enough time to experiment with different fonts for this project as my submission date looms. 


This is what it looks like sewn (by me) as per my instructions. (There is a typo on this version which I’ve corrected)
And this is what it could look like prepared for sale.

I shared it with my nearly teenage niece, who is too old for it and very teenage. Surprisingly she preferred the handwritten version although it was beneath her to read it. I need to get some feedback from someone closer to the age range, I’m thinking primary school age. I will investigate further…..

If you would like a copy it’s available through my Etsy shop with all profits going to the Trussell Trust

Comments