Assignment 1 Part 1 Design your manifesto - The text

"Using drawings to explore and document the world around me I want to help us all to see better"

 

I, Caroline Hoy, promise to only make work that benefits the world that I live in. I will follow the physicians oath to do no harm, to people or the planet. I will not sell things that I don’t believe in to people who don’t need them. I will not knowingly make work that is designed to be immediately discarded.  I intend to use my illustration skills to share knowledge and open eyes. I will strive to continue to explore and experiment, embracing new techniques and technologies. Using old fashioned drawing combined with digital technology I will explore visual, interactive and tactile ideas to make important information stand out and to entertain my viewers, whether the piece is intended to be educational, instructive or for entertainment. I believe in using illustration to make complex ideas and concepts more accessible and understandable and to reveal the seen and the unseen. I will look for different perspectives and novel solutions and take my viewers and clients with me on my voyage of discovery always attempting to give them my best work.

 

As a mature student with a day job that supports me I am in the fortunate position of being able to pick and choose the sort of work that I make and who I make it for. I can afford to be idealistic, but I am not unrealistic. I will not to use my fortunate position to undermine other illustrators who rely on commissions to earn a living, I intend to always charge fairly for my work, unless the client is a charity which deserves my support. I expect to be paid promptly and in exchange will meet all reasonable deadlines and keep my clients informed of my progress. I will also work in collaboration with my client, offering alternative versions, listening to their needs and making appropriate modifications as required. I will always attempt to bring a different perspective to the work required, as an illustrator, artist, scientist, nurse, and recent student.

 

Illustration is a powerful tool which crosses barriers of language and culture to reach a wide and diverse audience. Digital technology makes it more economical and accessible than ever before. 

 

Comments