Making the zine

I had 6 weeks to adapt my story to a physical exhibition so I wasn’t focussed on getting business cards. The cards I would need for this exhibition should really reflect the story that I am telling and by the time I had a solid story specific design I felt it was risky to order a lot of cards that might not arrive on time. (Also I’ve been unhappy with the proving quality of some things that I’ve ordered in the past.  My tutor had suggested telling a shortened version of the story in a simple zine, the sort that you make by folding an A4 sheet of paper and cutting a slit in the middle.  I decided to combine the zine with my contact details in the hope that it would represent me to a wider audience and because I think that it nicely reflects the sort of artist that I am.


Above are a couple of prototypes to work out the design.

Using an adapted scan of my figure with house I made a my design in Procreate


I did a design with the text printed over it but I really wasn’t happy with it. Printed text dominated the images and didn’t sit well against the handmade style of the zine. 

I know that the font in this version is completely wrong but creating it was enough for me to decide to make a handwritten version. It’s impossible to fold the zines so that the pages match exactly which really jars against a printed font.

I’ve always struggled with borderless printing even though my printer claims that it is doing it so I made the edges of the plants a little softer. The leaves are done with a brush from procreate, the white is a happy accident where I had the wrong colour loaded (well I think that its a happy accident, I like it)


I hand wrote my text over the printed zine then photocopied it. 

Above is a prototype, and this is the zine.





(The back page also has my email address but I didn’t want to put it online)



I’ve got 50 copies, is that too many? Not enough? I have no idea, and I can’t find any clues online.

Comments