Knitting and textures

The story relies on a lot of knitted images. 

I did some experimental doodles.

Jane Hissey is a master of realistic illustrations of fabric. In her original stories I couldn’t find knitted toys but there are some in this story. Her style is much more detailed than mine but it’s interesting to pick up some ideas.

Paula Pertile made an adult colouring book using drawings of knitting. I admire her patience.

There’s also the growing vegetation in the garden to think about.


I experimented with using wool to make the vegetation.


These are random scraps that I had saved. The first one is very simple, with the second I was trying to make a random overgrowth of plants.

-
I’m not convinced that either of them have worked which is a shame as I had a vague idea that I would unravel the wool at the end to reveal the house.
My second experiment involved wrapping wool around a piece of card.

Then I machine stitched one edge and cut the wool, removing the card.

This has a more interesting effect. The above is a photo, I also scanned it and edited the background 


Scanning gave a different effect. This could be useful. I would be able to knot and twist the strands of wool to make a tangled garden. 
Then today when I was redrawing the house I was struck by the way it snuggles behind the plants, particularly in the top drawing.
Could I use the earlier idea of a knitted garden to engulf the house in a cloud of soft knitting (using the first lot of wool which is more floaty)?


Comments